Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Plagued by fires, much of the original building was destroyed in 1982. However, the original redwood bar has survived intact. Internationally famous for it’s ghosts The Willow enriches local history and preserves a reputation for good food and drink.
Sept. 2, 2000 (6005)
Matuca Chapter 1849
Credo Quia Absurdum
Erected 2000 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #25 William McKinley series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1849.
Location. 37° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18723 Main Street, Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court (within shouting distance of this marker); 75 Pound Nugget (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Light District (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Branch Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rocca Park (about 300 feet away); Jamestown (about 400 feet away); Ramirez – Preston Building (about 500 feet away); Jamestown United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Regarding The Willow. The new structure is a one-story wood frame building which is all that remains of the original two-story gabled-roof hotel and restaurant that burned in 1978. A new false front has been added to the north and west facing street fronts to give a feel for the former height of the original building. Built in 1896 by early pioneer John Pereira, it has operated continuously as a bar and restaurant.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 910 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.