Greensboro in Hale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Greensboro Presbyterian Church
Original wooden structure replaced by brick building in 1841 under pastorate of Rev. Thomas Sydenham Witherspoon.
Present building erected in 1859 when Rev. J. C. Mitchell was pastor.
Old slave gallery may still be seen.
Erected 1959 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 32° 42.243′ N, 87° 35.89′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, Alabama, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Demopolis Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 905 Demopolis Street, Greensboro AL 36744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gayle - Tunstall House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Magnolia Grove (approx. half a mile away); Southern University (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 11.9 miles away); Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar (approx. 14.7 miles away); St. Andrew’s Church (approx. 14.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.