Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Taylor
Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members from churches in "old home" states. Gen. R. M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church. The initial meeting was in an Odd Fellows hall. In 1878, a church building was erected.
Present Gothic Revival church was built in 1891. Architect: E. B. Mackin. Distinctive interior is preserved, although bell tower has been removed.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9091.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is December 9, 1944.
Location. 30° 34.359′ N, 97° 24.662′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Talbot Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 603 Talbot St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Taylor (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bill PickettThe Taylor Public Schools (about 700 feet away); Taylor Post Office (about 800 feet away); Tex Avery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preslar-Hewitt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eikel-Prewitt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . First Christian Church of Taylor. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on February 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,500 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on February 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.