Cullman in Cullman County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Cullman’s Oldest House
Dr. Aldo Weiss, practical physician and accoucheur, purchased the property from the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company in 1875, lived in this house, had his office in it, and kept his goats in the cellar. In 1976, the owner, Mrs. Herman Ruehl, gave the house to the City of Cullman and it was moved from the original site, 206 Sixth Avenue, S. E. to this location as a Bicentennial Project.
This house was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on January 25, 1977.
Erected 1977 by Cullman County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1883.
Location. 34° 10.45′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cullman AL 35055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sand Mountain Plateau (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church (about 700 feet away); “Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (approx. ¼ mile away); Evangelical Protestant Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Betz Addition Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Gottfried Cullmann (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cullman Railroad Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cullman, Alabama (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cullman.
Regarding Weiss Cottage. An accoucheur is a man who assists women in childbirth, IE: a male midwife.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,345 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.