Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hendersonville in Henderson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Queen Theater

ca. 1915

 
 
Queen Theater Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 23, 2010
1. Queen Theater Marker
Inscription.  Built originally for retail, this building was redesigned into a theater in 1915 by prominent local architect Erle Stillwell. The Neo-Classical building served as the Queen, then the State, then the Fox until the early 1960s.
 
Erected by Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicEntertainmentIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 35° 19.034′ N, 82° 27.609′ W. Marker is in Hendersonville, North Carolina, in Henderson County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Located between 4th and 5th Avenues East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 North Main Street, Hendersonville NC 28792, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. C. Penny Building (here, next to this marker); 412-414 N. Main (here, next to this marker); Ewbank & Ewbank Building (a few steps from this marker); Commercial Bank Building (within
Queen Theater Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 23, 2010
2. Queen Theater Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Citizens National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Kirk Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Bank and Trust Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); 344 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hendersonville.
 
Also see . . .  Queen Theater,. The Queen was renamed the State in the 1930s and became the Fox in the 1950s. As of 2009, the building still stands, its first floor now occupied by a jewelry store. The lower half of the facade has been covered, but Stillwell's design can still be seen in the upper half. (Submitted on August 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 6, 2020