Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albion in Noble County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Noble County Seat / Noble County Courthouse

 
 
Noble County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 2, 2007
1. Noble County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836, named after James Noble first US Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta, 1837, Port Mitchell 1844. Center later named Albion selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of railroad in 1874 brought prosperity and major construction on courthouse square circa 1880–1890.

First courthouse (1847) destroyed by fire replaced by two-story brick structure, 1860. This courthouse, third on the site, built 1887–1889, in Richardsonian Romanesque Style of brick and limestone. Designed by E. O. Fallis Co., Toledo, Ohio. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1981.
 
Erected 1999 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Courthouse Square Preservation Society Inc. (Marker Number 57.1999.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 41° 23.766′ N, 85° 25.454′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Albion, Indiana, in Noble County. Marker is on North Orange Street (State Road 9). It’s on the east side of the Courthouse. The clock tower can be seen from much of the city. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albion IN 46701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Albion Courthouse Square Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); B&O Railroad Depot Albion, IN (within shouting distance of this marker); Noble County Seat (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Jail Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Methodist Episcopal / First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Stanley Schoolhouse (approx. 5 miles away); Gene Stratton-Porter (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albion.
 
Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 2, 2007
2. Side 2
Noble County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 2, 2007
3. Noble County Courthouse
Courthouse Clocktower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 2, 2007
4. Courthouse Clocktower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,358 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 7, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3387

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024