Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Wisconsin - Madison
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America.
Erected 1993 by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. (Marker Number 93001616.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series lists.
Location. 43° 4.554′ N, 89° 24.052′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of North Park Street and Langdon Street, on the left when traveling north on North Park Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 North Park Street, Madison WI 53706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leaders in Science (a few steps from this marker); On the Air (within shouting distance of this marker); State Historical SocietyA Living Room for Campus (about 400 feet away); Securing the Future (about 500 feet away); The American Character (about 500 feet away); A Grand Experiment (about 500 feet away); Robert E. Gard Memorial Storyteller's Circle (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Science Hall. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, which designated Science Hall as a landmark (no. 170) in 2007, it was designed by architect Henry C Koch, altered by architect Allan Conover, and built 1885-1887. Moreover, "Science Hall is a three-story u-shaped Romanesque Revival structure with a gable roof, featuring a rock-faced coursed rhyolite ashlar raised basement and walls of red-pressed brick in common bond. The building is enriched with ornamental brickwork and belt courses of rhyolite and glazed red terra cotta.
"Science Hall is associated with Charles R. Van Hise (1857-1918), who was the first geologist in the Nation to apply microscopic lithology to the extensive study of crystalline rocks, and to use those results in the formulation of geological principles.
"In addition, it was in Science Hall that Wisconsin Physics Professors Earle M. Terry and Edward Bennett, along with their students, carried out research that contributed to the development of radio from wireless telegraphy. In the basement of Science Hall, Terry and his students [developed] the beginnings of telegraphic station 9XM, which eventually became WHA radio, the oldest continuously operating radio station in the nation."
According to David V. Mollenhoff, Madison: A History of the Formative Years (2nd ed.), p. 220, Frank Lloyd Wright worked on Science Hall, before he became an architect, while employed by Allan Conover. Also, "Science Hall was one of the first buildings in the United States to use steel for structural framing and may be the oldest extant building in the country with this feature. The use of steel was no accident; Conover was keenly interested in new construction technologies, and in the 1880s
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for buildings designed by Conover.
Also see . . . Landmark Nomination (pdf). Madison Landmarks Commission nomination form for Science Hall. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on April 13, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6. submitted on April 15, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.