Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Victory Arch
A triumph with tears to those who sleep"
Newport News' Victory Arch provides a continuing memorial to American servicemen and women. Grateful Peninsula citizens built a temporary Arch, dedicated April 13, 1919, for the victorious troops marching back from "Over There." By 1960 maintenance of the wood and plaster Arch was impractical. A permanent arch of stone was rededicated May 30, 1962.
Erected 1967 by Newport News Historical Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World I. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Corporation of Newport News series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 13, 1915.
Location. 36° 58.605′ N, 76° 25.928′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of West Avenue and 25th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Warwick Hotel 1883-1961 (within shouting distance of this marker); Newport News Victory ArchVictory Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome Home (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Victory Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters, Hampton Roads (within shouting distance of this marker); Newport News (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sons of the Flag (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
Also see . . . Newport News Victory Arch. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 10, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.