Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee Hall Depot
The historic Lee Hall Depot was constructed in the 1880s as part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway’s efforts to establish its Atlantic terminus at Newport News, thereby linking the Ohio River Valley with the sea. The station was sited on Warwick Road, now Boulevard, connecting the Warwick Courthouse with Williamsburg and Yorktown.
Traditionally, the depot served the Yorktown, Lee Hall and lower James City County communities and was the social and economic focal point of the village of Lee Hall that grew around the station
. The depot is the only remaining station on the Lower Virginia Peninsula from the railroad’s expansion into Warwick County. Five stations (Lee Hall, Oriana, Oyster Point, Morrison and Newport News) once served the county. It is a symbol of Newport News’ early development from the agrarian Warwick County into the modern City of Newport News and of the history of transportation.
The first passenger train from Newport News took local residents and national officials to the Cornwallis Surrender Centennial Celebration on October 19, 1881, on a temporary track laid from Lee Hall to Yorktown.
The present-day depot is a culmination of several additions. After the original one-story section facing Newport News was erected, the two story midsection was added in 1893. The newest wing, the waiting room, was built in 1918. A storage shed, now razed, was completed in 1943.
Passenger service ended in the late 1970s. In 1993, CSX, formerly the C&O Railroad, decided that the location of the depot was unsafe because it was too close to the tracks. They donated the structure to the City of Newport News which moved it across the tracks to its current location.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, World I. A significant historical date for this entry is October 19, 1881.
Location. 37° 11.64′ N, 76° 34.342′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Elmhurst Street 0.1 miles south of Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C&O "Peninsula Extension" (here, next to this marker); Lee Hall Village (here, next to this marker); Lee Hall (a few steps from this marker); The Simon Reid Curtis House (a few steps from this marker); An Earthwork in Front (approx. 0.4 miles away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Large Brick Kitchen (approx. 0.4 miles away); Homestead by the Main Road (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a floor plan of Lee Hall Depot.
On the upper right is an illustration with the caption, "The first steam engine at Lee Hall Station, October 19, 1881, carried passengers to Yorktown to celebrate the Cornwallis Surrender Centennial." Mural by artist Sidney E. King.
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Depot. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company. The Old Dominion Land Company and the Development of the City of Newport News. A Collection of Maps, Blueprints, Photographs and Documents. Newport News Public Library. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
3. Lee Hall Depot (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 1, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on March 1, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.