Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Irish Immigrants in Refugio
The first group of Irish settlers arrived on the Texas Gulf Coast in 1834. A cholera epidemic and the loss of provisions and equipment in rough waters as the immigrants reached the shore delayed their arrival in Refugio, where they were to settle near the former Spanish mission of Nuestra Senora del Refugio. The colony soon was established, however, and almost immediately the new settlers were embroiled in the cause of Texas independence from Mexico. Many Irishmen fought in the Texas Army and later served in the Republic of Texas Congress.
The Irish people established a lasting presence in the Refugio area. Many descendants of the early immigrants still reside in the area, some on land granted to their ancestors in the
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2652.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 28° 17.797′ N, 97° 16.468′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is at the intersection of Osage Street and Purisima Street, on the right when traveling west on Osage Street. Marker is located in King's Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Refugio TX 78377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amon B. King (within shouting distance of this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sally Scull (about 400 feet away); Empresario James Power (about 400 feet away); Refugio County (about 400 feet away); Refugio County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Yucatan Soldiers' Burial Site (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,271 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.