North Newport News in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Olivet Christian Church
The school house was renovated and dedicated Aug. 6, 1882 and named Olivet.
The first new building, one half mile north of this site, was dedicated May 30, 1909.
Fire destroyed this house of worship Feb. 21, 1948.
Ground breaking for our present building Aug. 19, 1948 and dedicated June 12, 1955.
Ground breaking for our educational building, June 16, 1963 and dedicated Aug. 16, 1964.
Erected by Olivet Christian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 7.817′ N, 76° 32.556′ W. Marker is in North Newport News in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Old Courthouse Way and Tulip Drive on Old Courthouse Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14425 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News VA 23608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warwick Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Warwick Courthouse (within shouting Warwick Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Warwick County Confederate Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Windmill Point (approx. 0.9 miles away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.3 miles away); Providence Mennonite Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Young’s Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Newport News.
Also see . . . Olivet Christian Church. (Submitted on August 5, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.