Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library

In Memorium

 

— 1906-1997 —

 
Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
1. Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library Marker
Inscription.  Dennis Martin O'Connor, II, was born October 31, 1906, into a South Texas pioneer family, being the eldest son of Thomas and Kathryn Stoner O'Connor. He was the great-grandson of Thomas O'Connor, who emigrated from Ireland with the Power-Hewetson Colony in 1833 and helped establish the Town of Refugio.

Mr. O'Connor attended Dallas University and graduated from the University of Texas. He served in the United States Navy during World War II as a Lieutenant-Commander. On May 31, 1931, he married Dorothy Hama of Victoria, Texas. True to family tradition, he went on to build a ranching empire in the Texas Coastal Bend, and spent untiring efforts breeding up the ranch stock. Fishing, palm trees, animals, meteorological studies, photography were his hobbies and he was very knowledgeable on all these subjects.

His desire to help people, young and old, was exemplified when he gave to the County of Refugio this public library and endowed its upkeep. He unselfishly made contributions to improve the quality of life in South Texas.

Dennis M. O'Connor died at his home in Refugio County, January 16, 1997. He was laid to
Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
2. Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library
rest beside his ancestors in the family cemetery near St. Dennis Catholic Church, built by his mother Kathryn.

This library has been renamed the Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library to reflect the deep respect and gratitude that the citizens of Refugio County have for Mr. O'Connor.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducationSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 28° 17.772′ N, 97° 16.521′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and East Empresario Street (Farm to Market Road 774), on the right when traveling north on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Commerce Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Refugio County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Refugio County (within shouting distance of this marker); Empresario James Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Sally Scull (within shouting distance of this marker); Amon B. King (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Immigrants in Refugio
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yucatan Soldiers' Burial Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 983 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 20, 2020