Colonial Beach in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Henry Brooks Farm
As you look toward the house site, perhaps you can sense the isolation Henry Brooks must have felt when he settled here in 1651; he stood on the frontier of Virginia's tobacco culture. During the next twelve years many others followed him to the area, and Brooks steadily sold off his 1,000 acres. By 1662 the area around Popes and Bridges Creeks was dotted with at least eight modest farms - more than would exist here a century later.
Archeological investigations at the Henry Brooks house site in 1977 testified to the difficulties of carving a new homestead out of the wilderness. The farm was less elaborate than the later Popes Creek Plantation. Brooks's main dwelling measured only 20x19 feet. Archeologists discovered just one other structure on the site.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 38° 11.795′ N, 76° 55.789′ W. Marker is in Colonial BeachTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1732 Popes Creek Road, Colonial Beach VA 22443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Washington House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Burial Ground (about 400 feet away); The Bay Today (approx. 0.3 miles away); A New World on the Chesapeake (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paradise Found (approx. 0.3 miles away); Link to the World (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Muse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Artery of Commerce (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colonial Beach.
Also see . . . George Washington Birthplace National Monument. A website of the National Park Service. (Submitted on August 5, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.