Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Spanish Fort
These 24 pound shot size cannon were part of a battery of three placed in Fort Brooke during the War Between the States. They and two 6 pound shot size rifled cannon successfully defended Tampa until May 5, 1864. On that date, federal troops, composed of elements of the 2nd U.S. Colored Regiment, the 2nd Florida Cavalry and the U.S. Navy, captured the town and fort by surprise. The 24 pounders were disabled by breaking off a trunnion and destroying their barbette carriages. The indentation on the barrel of one of the 24 pounders indicates that a 6 pounder was fired point blank at its barrel. The 6 pounders were then taken to Key West.
The cannon's naval mounts were designed and funded by the Fort Brooke Commission. This historical recreation of the garden folly was a project of the Friends of Plant Park in 2008. This sign is
Erected by Friends of Plant Park
City of Tampa
Hillsborough County Commission
Fort Brooke Commission
The University of Tampa.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is May 5, 1832.
Location. 27° 56.818′ N, 82° 27.785′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from University Drive north of West Kennedy Boulevard (State Road 60), on the right when traveling north. The marker is located within Plant Park, between the Hillsborough River and the former Tampa Bay Hotel, now the Henry B. Plant Museum and the University of Tampa's Plant Hall (a National Historic Landmark). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa FL 33606, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Brooke Battery (a few steps from this marker); 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa Bay Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); De Soto (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tampa Bay HotelOld Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away); Gen. Robert E. Lee, C.S.A. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a piece of limestone which sits on the ground in front of a small rock wall. Cannon are placed over the wall on either side of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,275 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.