Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First Academy of Richmond County
In 1798 the school was closed because of a lack of money and the delapidation of the buildings. It was reopened in 1802 on Telfair Street. Thence, it was removed to Baker Avenue in 1926.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1941.
Location. 33° 28.395′ N, 81° 57.342′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Reynolds Street, on the left when traveling north on 4th Street. Located near the northern Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia's State Capital (within shouting distance of this marker); The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. ¼ mile away); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. ¼ mile away); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . The Academy of Richmond County (also "A.R.C." or Richmond Academy). one notable alumni was James Longstreet, Confederate general in the American Civil War . (James spent eight years on his uncle's plantation, Westover, just outside the city, while he attended the Richmond County Academy) (Submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.