Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Smith’s 2-Story Privy

 
 
Smith's 2-Story Privy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nick Russell, November 8, 2007
1. Smith's 2-Story Privy Marker
Inscription.  
Winfield S. Smith, Guthrie City Councilman and builder of many early commercial buildings, granted by deed on July 28, 1899 to Nathanial McKay the right to build a two-story 8x10 feet brick privy on his property (Lot 23) with right of access to occupants of that lot as well as lots 24 and 25. McKay, a transplanted easterner who became a Guthrie developer, was charged with keeping the privy maintained and in good repair when he purchased the lot and its “Triumph Building.” Tenants of the building were assured of two seats on each floor of the privy.

While no photograph of the privy exists, the artist’s sketch indicates the type of structure and the covered walk assuring access from the second floor of the building.
 
Erected 1980 by Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1875.
 
Location. 35° 52.689′ N, 97° 25.541′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on West Oklahoma Street west of North Division Street (U.S.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
77), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 West Oklahoma Street, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gray Bros. Building (a few steps from this marker); Oklahoma Building (within shouting distance of this marker); De Steiguer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guthrie National Bank (about 300 feet away); Land Office (about 300 feet away); Guthrie Daily Leader (about 500 feet away); Foucart Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Guthrie Oklahoma
Guthrie was Oklahoma’s Territorial Capital and first State Capital.
    — Submitted November 10, 2007.
 
Smith’s 2-Story Privy and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Smith’s 2-Story Privy and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2007, by Nick Russell of Boulder City, Nevada. This page has been viewed 2,665 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 8, 2007, by Nick Russell of Boulder City, Nevada.   2. submitted on October 22, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3414

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024