Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified
After he had passed through Goliad, he was overtaken at Mujerero Creek (12 mi. SW) by Texan Army couriers, Col. Ben Fort Smith and Capt. Henry Teal. Signing the ratification of peace at Mujerero, May 26, 1836, were Gen. Filasola, Gen. Eugene Tolsa, Col. Augustine Amat, Col. Smith, and Capt. Teal.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4572.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence.
Location. 28° 39.972′ N, 97° 23.509′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the grounds of the Goliad County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 North Courthouse Square, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker The Hanging Tree (a few steps from this marker); Goliad County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Regulators of Goliad County (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (within shouting distance of this marker); Market House Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bull Durham Tobacco Wall Advertisement (about 400 feet away); The Goliad Advance-Guard (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Also see . . . The Battle of San Jacinto. On May 14, 1836, the public and private treaties of Velasco, were signed by Presidents David G. Burnet and Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. They confirmed the Mexican retreat and declared an end to the war. Neither the Texas nor Mexican governments accepted the treaties, however, and a state of war existed throughout most of the Republic of Texas' existence. (Submitted on August 10, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,280 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.