Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dunkirk in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Smithville United Methodist Church

 
 
Smithville United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
1. Smithville United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The brick church, dedicated in 1840, is the oldest standing Methodist church in Calvert County. The Calvert Circuit began in 1781 with services in homes. By 1789 this circuit had the largest membership in the United States. Fielder B. Smith gave land for this church. Other congregation members gave clay, baked the bricks, and provided much of the interior woodwork. In 1882, the Smithville Circuit of three churches was formed. In 1980 Smithville became a separate church.
 
Erected by Calvert County Historical Society, Board of Calvert County Commissioners, Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 38° 43.291′ N, 76° 39.692′ W. Marker is in Dunkirk, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is at the intersection of Southern Maryland Boulevard (Maryland Route 4) and Ferry Landing Road, on the right when traveling south on Southern Maryland Boulevard. Marker is about 100 feet west of intersection on Ferry Landing Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dunkirk MD 20754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A County in Ruin (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Nottingham Schoolhouse (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Town of Nottingham (approx. 2.4 miles away); The War of 1812 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Calvert County (approx. 2.4 miles away); Changing Guard (approx. 2.4 miles away); Nottingham (approx. 2˝ miles away); Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary (approx. 2˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Smithville United Methodist Church at Night. Photograph. (Submitted on November 29, 2009, by William H. Thayer of Owings, Maryland.) 
 
Smithville United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
2. Smithville United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,768 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3417

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024