Scottsdale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse
Dedicated February 26, 1910
on the 73rd birthday of
Chaplain Winfield Scott
This building served the
people of Scottsdale as
City Hall and Justice Court
City of Scottsdale Marker:
1973 - Present Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce
Built in 1909, the school house had classrooms for grades one through eight. Between 1928, when Loloma School opened, and the 1960's, the building served as a community center for newly arrived Mexican-American residents of the community and as a school for their children. The building later served, at various times, as the City Hall, Justice Court, and Public Library. It is now the home of the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce.
Erected 1976 by The School Children of Scottsdale - City of Scottsdale.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 33° 29.577′ N, 111° 55.415′ W. Marker is in Scottsdale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker can be reached from Scottsdale Mall half a mile east of North Brown Avenue. The school, now the home of the Scottsdale Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7333 East Scottsdale Mall, Scottsdale AZ 85251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winfield Scott Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 1921 - Sterling Drug Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1929 - U.S. Post Office (about 400 feet away); 1921 - Farmers State Bank (about 400 feet away); Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Herbert "Herb" R. Drinkwater (about 700 feet away); Permanent Home of the "Beavers" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Chaplain (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsdale.
More about this marker. This is a walk-to marker. In fact, the Scottsdale Walking Tour begins immediately in front of this building. The safest, least expensive way to reach this site is driving two blocks south of Main Street on Brown Avenue, turning east (left) into the free public parking lot. One can park within 200 feet of the school and marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,522 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 8, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.