Near Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Logan County, On Top of Ohio
A stockade, built 1812 by
James Manary, for Ranger
troops defending the frontier
along the Greenville Treaty
Line. Storage base for army
and refuge for settlers
in War of 1812.
Erected 1947 by Logan County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 40° 23.648′ N, 83° 47.673′ W. Marker is near Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on County Road 130 (Ohio Route 117) 0.2 miles south of County Route 91, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull's Army in 1812 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bellefontaine Airport Pylon (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bellefontaine (approx. 2.3 miles away); Harmon Field (approx. 2½ miles away); Blair Casey Park Huntsville, Ohio Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lewis R. Ratleff Park (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Hull's Road. Ohio History Central website entry (Submitted on August 13, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Bokengahelis Town
Ohio Historical Society records report a boulder with plaque marking "Bokengahelis Town". This boulder is lost, but the plaque has been found in the basement of the museum in Bellefontaine. Period documents (1812) confirm that Manary was instructed to build this blockhouse on the site of Bokenahelis Town. The site of both the blockhouse and the boulder have been verified by myself, and a member of the McPherson family. The Manary House is mentioned multiple times in period (1812) reports and diaries. There were two blockhouses, a trading post, multiple
— Submitted June 20, 2012, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,395 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.