Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsdale in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hillsdale College

 
 
Hillsdale College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 18, 2010
1. Hillsdale College Marker
Inscription.  In 1844 a group of Freewill Baptists organized Michigan Central College at Spring Arbor. This college was the first in Michigan to grant degrees to women. Moved to Hillsdale in 1853 and chartered by the legislature in 1855, the school was renamed Hillsdale College under an independent board of trustees, its only controlling organization. The charter opened the institution "to all persons ... irrespective of nationality, color, or sex."
 
Erected 1968 by Michigan Historical Commission / Hillsdale College Alumni Association. (Marker Number S230.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
 
Location. 41° 55.952′ N, 84° 38.033′ W. Marker is in Hillsdale, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker can be reached from East College Street. The marker is west of Central Hall on the Hillsdale College campus. The college is approx. 0.6 mi. north of Carleton Road East (State Highway 99) via Hillsdale Street
Central Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 18, 2010
2. Central Hall
The historical marker is just to the left of Central Hall.
Click or scan to see
this page online
or ½ mile east of West Carleton Road (State Highway 99) via Fayette Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 East College Street, Hillsdale MI 49242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. College Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potter's Field (approx. half a mile away); The Oak Grove Cemetery Association (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hillsdale (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sultana (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Will Carleton Poor House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsdale.
 
Also see . . .  History of Hillsdale College. (Submitted on February 28, 2022, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,018 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34216

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022