Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Don Rafael Antonio Manchola
During the 1829 legislature session, Manchola helped establish the municipality of Guadalupe Victoria. He also corresponded with Stephen F. Austin about Texas' welfare, and he declared his support for the separate statehood of Coahuila and Texas. That year he petitioned the state to change La Bahia's name to Goliad, an anagram of the name of Father Miguel Hidalgo, hero of the Mexican Revolution.
Throughout his career, Manchola's work included strong advocacy for democracy and for increasing Anglo settlement. In 1832, he planned to accompany William Wharton to Mexico City to petition for
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13441.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 28° 39.948′ N, 97° 23.489′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on South Market Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south. In the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 North Courthouse Square, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Regulators of Goliad County (a few steps from this marker); First Lieut. James H. Ewell Jr. Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hanging Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bull Durham Tobacco Wall Advertisement (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,306 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.