Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salisbury in Rowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
1. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Parish established in 1753. Present building constructed in 1828, stands one block west.
 
Erected 1949 by Archives, Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number L-44.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1753.
 
Location. 35° 40.107′ N, 80° 28.127′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is at the intersection of N Main Street (U.S. 29) and W Council Street, on the left when traveling north on N Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington's Southern Tour (here, next to this marker); Rowan County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Washington’s Tour of the Southern States (here, next to this marker); Elizabeth Maxwell Steele (a few steps from this marker); Rowan County World War I Memorial
Salisbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
2. Salisbury Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Boone Trail 1769 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salisbury Rotary Club (about 500 feet away); Old English Cemetery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
 
Marker on N Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
3. Marker on N Main Street
The marker is located in front of the Old Rowan Courthouse.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
4. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
St. Luke parish was established by act of Colonial Assembly in 1753. This church is located ½ block west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34285

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2021