Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Pendleton County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Franklin

 
 
Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
1. Franklin Marker
Inscription.  Settled, 1769. Named for its founder, Francis Evick. John Van Meter first reached the South Branch, 1725. Roger Dyer and others came in 1745. Site of Federal camp of Gen. John C. Fremont, 1862, on way to attack "Stonewall" Jackson.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
 
Location. 38° 38.505′ N, 79° 19.884′ W. Marker is in Franklin, West Virginia, in Pendleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 220) and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Located in front of the Pendleton County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Franklin WV 26807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendleton County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); McCoy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Devonian Shale
Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
2. Franklin Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Confederate Prayer Service (approx. 1.8 miles away); Murder of Ambrose Meadows (approx. 2.6 miles away); Destruction of Saltpeter Works (approx. 3.4 miles away); Trout Rock Fort (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Pendleton County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
3. Pendleton County Courthouse
McCoy House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
4. McCoy House
The McCoy house across the street is on the National Register of Historic Places. Fremont used this house as his headquarters.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 798 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34500

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021