Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Tahoe City bustled with activity from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Family resorts were built that offered motorists food, lodging and recreational opportunities.
During the winter, year-round residents still coped with an adventurous daily routine. When roads were impassable, locals stored their cars and traveled by foot, skies or boat, often received their mail and supplies twice weekly by boat.
A world audience saw the beauty of Lake Tahoe live on television during the 1960 Olympics at Squaw Valley. The popularity of Lake Tahoe – and Tahoe City – as a tourist destination increased even further.
Erected 2008 by Rotory Club of Tahoe City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1960.
Location. 39° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Tahoe City (here, next to this marker); Tahoe City’s “Big Tree” (here, next to this marker); Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895 (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926 (a few steps from this marker); Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945 (a few steps from this marker); Post War, 1946 to 1955 (a few steps from this marker); Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971 (a few steps from this marker); The Watson Cabin (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Also see . . . Scenic Photos of Lake Tahoe. Photos of Lake Tahoe and the area taken by Alexander Evans and Dale Boland - provided by the U.S. Geological Survey. (Submitted on August 17, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.