Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carroll College opened on September 8, 1846 with an enrollment of five men and a faculty of two. Of the latter, Professor Eleazur Root subsequently became Wisconsin’s first Superintendent of Public Instruction, and Professor John W. Sterling served as Vice President of the University of Wisconsin from 1869 to 1885. The college became affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in 1852. On land donated by Morris D. Cutler and Charles R. Dakin, both of Waukesha, a two-story stone college building was erected in 1853.
Under presidents John Adams Savage (1850-1863) and Walter Lowry Rankin (1866-1871, 1893-1903) the college grew and became firmly established as Wisconsin’s Pioneer College.
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 185.)
Topics and series. Education. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 43° 0.191′ N, 88° 13.617′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of East Ave and W College Avenue, on the right when traveling south on East Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N East Ave, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Club 400 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Cutler Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Home (approx. half a mile away); Silurian Spring (approx. half a mile away); Les Paul (approx. half a mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
Also see . . . Carroll College History - Carroll University website. (Submitted on August 19, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 19, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.