Near Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Factory Shoals c. 1820
Archaeological remains of 5 mills ranging from large textile factories to small grist mills exist within a one mile section of the river.
The post office for the thriving environs was Webbville, 1832, later Newton Factory, 1846, with a population of 600 by 1860.
Sherman’s march through Newton County, 1864, the flood of 1881 and other economic forces fore-shortened the post-bellum prosperity of this remarkable development.
Erected 1993 by Newton County Historical Society Landmarks Committee. (Marker Number 6.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 26.709′ N, 83° 49.717′ W. Marker is near Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on Unnamed Park Road 0.2 miles south of Newton Factory Bridge Road, in the median. The marker is on the main road in Newton County's Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 450 Newton Factory Bridge Road, Covington GA 30014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red Oak Church (approx. one mile away); The Isaac Parker Inn (approx. 6˝ miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 6.6 miles away); Mansfield's Famous Southpaw (approx. 7.4 miles away); Mansfield's First School (approx. 7.6 miles away); Snapping Shoals – 1821 (approx. 7.9 miles away); Home of Robert Grier (approx. 9 miles away); Newborn (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,299 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.