Near Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Union Chapel United Methodist Church
On April 24, 1855, Irby Hudson Scott deeded to the trustees of a new newly organized and consolidated Methodist Episcopal group, three and three-quarter acres of land in the Tompkins District in Putnam County, Georgia. A church building was to be erected on the land. There had been a small church on nearby land owned by the Hearn family named Bethel Church. There was also a small church named Rock Chapel on what used to be known as “the ridge road,” and now called the Uncle Remus U.S. Highway 441. Because the membership of each of the two churches was small, they united into one larger congregation and built a house of worship on the land offered for the purpose by Mr. Scott. These early members built well and today the building is still in excellent condition. No one now living knows where the lumber was milled but it is all the very best heart pine lumber, nowhere to be found today. The sills and framework are hand-hewn and pinned. The doors and triple-sash windows are said to have been made in Augusta, Georgia, and hauled overland to the building site. The lumber used to make the pews and the door and window facing was all hand
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Union Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
planed. The pulpit Bible was presented in 1855 and the first pastor was the Rev. Henry Morton. As early as 1867, there was a Sunday school at Union Chapel. Mr. Cullen S. Credille was superintendent of the male members and Mrs. Mary Scott was superintendent of the female members. Many years ago the orientation of the interior was changed with the pulpit and pews being reversed. Originally, the pulpit was before the high windows between the two front doors, and was mounted by steps. A new pulpit and communion rail was installed at the opposite end of the building and a center door was removed and the opening closed. On August 13, 1913, a delegation of 25 gentlemen from the Reid’s Crossroad community went before the Putnam County Board of Education and requested that a better school be built in the area. The board voted to build a school at Union Chapel. The builder was Mr. Robert E. Vining and the school opened in November 1913 and was in continuous operation until county school consolidation forced its closure on May 25, 1946. The school’s first teacher was Miss Fannie Mae Jones. It has been used since as Sunday school space by the church. For generations United Chapel Church and school have been important parts of this community. To those who came before us who raised the roof, stoked the fire, and kept the faith ~ WE SALUTE YOU! And to those who continue with the faith, friendship,
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
2. Union Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
hope and love of this body of believers ~ GODSPEED.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
3. Union Chapel United Methodist Church
The marker stands between the two front entrances to the church.
Erected 2001 by Union Chapel United Methodist Church, Friends, and the Eatonton-Putnam Co. Historical Society, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 25.616′ N, 83° 24.209′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Chapel Road NW (County Route S2397) and Rock Eagle Road, on the left when traveling north on Union Chapel Road NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgia 4-H Clubs (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Claud Adams (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rock Eagle Mound (approx. 1.9 miles away); Georgia 4-H Center (approx. 1.9 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 4.7 miles away); Springfield (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fairview (approx. 5.3 miles away); Site of the Home and Private School of Adiel Sherwood (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.