Daytona Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
The Florida frontier remained relatively empty until after the Civil War. During the late 1860's, both northerners and native southerners perceived great potential in Florida. Among the places they settled was Tomoka, which became Daytona in 1871. Daytona settlers remained unchurched until various Protestant denominations established the Mission circuits so typical of frontier America. One early mission was St. Mark's begun in 1877. The parishioners of St. Mark's early felt the need for permanence and began planning a church building in the late seventies. Their efforts were crowned with
success with the completion of St. Mary's, a Gothic Revival structure with board-and-batten exterior sheathing. St. Mary's has remained on its original site, growing with the community it serves. The structure has been enlarged several times to accommodate the expanding parish; however, the original St. Mary's remains the core of the present building, a visible remainder of Daytona's earliest years.
Erected 1979 by Jay Adams and Associates in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 12.453′ N, 81° 1.25′ W. Marker is in Daytona Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ridgewood Avenue (U.S. 1) and Orange Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Ridgewood Avenue. St. Mary's Episcopal Church is located across Orange Avenue from the Daytona Beach City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 Orange Avenue, Daytona Beach FL 32114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Halifax Lodge No. 81 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merchants Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ivey's Building (approx. ¼ mile away); S. H. Kress and Co. Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); A Gifted Athlete (approx. ¼ mile away); Willie O’Ree (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Daytona Beach.
More about this marker. The marker's inscription begins on the side of the marker that faces the church and continues on the reverse side. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the State of Florida.
Regarding St. Mary's Episcopal Church. St. Mary's Episcopal got its name as the result of a typographical error. When the church was built, a marble cornerstone was ordered with the inscription of its intended
Also see . . . St. Mary's Church. The church's official website has a detailed history page, historical photos, details of the building's stained glass windows, and other info. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 900 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 2. submitted on August 7, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 3. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 4. submitted on August 7, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 5, 6. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.