Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Andre & Despard House
Major Andre and
Lieutenant Despard were
held prisoners in 1776.
Andre was executed
as a spy in 1780.
Despard was executed
for high treason in 1803.
Erected by Historic Carlisle. (Marker Number 25.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 11.951′ N, 77° 11.364′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Hanover Street and E Chapel Avenue, on the right when traveling north on S. Hanover Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major André (here, next to this marker); The Salvation Army (a few steps from this marker); Blaine House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Tree Inn (about 500 feet away); Col. Robert Magaw (about 600 feet away); Old Graveyard (about 600 feet Molly Pitcher (about 600 feet away); Carlisle Old Graveyard Revolutionary War Soldiers (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Also see . . .
1. Major John André. (Submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Major John André, British spy of American Revolution. (Submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Edward Despard. Biography of Lieutenant Despard from Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
1. The wrong Despard
It was Lieutenant John Despard who was captured and held at Carlisle with John Andre. Despard went on to become a General and died at Oswestry in England in 1829, aged 84. It was his brother, Edward Marcus Despard who was executed in 1803.
— Submitted August 24, 2012, by Debra Fasano of Cairns, Queensland, Australia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.