Jamestown in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jamestown Friends Meeting House and Cemetery
The Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, made up a large portion of the early European settlers to this area. They began arriving about 1750. Friends believed that God lives inside each human being, and that the voice of God speaks quietly inside each of us, making elaborate church services unimportant. Because of this belief, Quakers considered all people to be equal and therefore were opposed to slavery. They also were against war.
The building is owned by the city and operated by the High Point Museum. The Meeting House is open occasionally for special events.
High Point Museum, located at 1859 E Lexington Avenue, approximately 2 miles west of City Lake Park, is open Tuesday – Saturday from 10 – 4:30 and Sunday from 1 – 4:30. Three
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list.
Location. 35° 59.674′ N, 79° 56.917′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from W Parkside Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in City Lake Park in Jamestown. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown NC 27282, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Mendenhall Store (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Richard Mendenhall (about 600 feet away); Lord Cornwallis (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Reece House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Potter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Mendenhall House and Mill (approx. half a mile away); Jamestown Public School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Beard's Hat Shop (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
More about this marker. Photographs appear on the marker showing one of the “Two fireplace [that] heated the small structure” and the “Entrance to Meeting House. Simple benches were provided .”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.