Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Augusta Arsenal
In 1816 a U.S. Arsenal was established on the Savannah River where the King Mill is now located, but the garrison having been wiped out in 1819 by "black fever," it was removed to this site in 1827 and consisted of two magnificent sets of officers quarters, an enlisted men`s barracks and a storehouse building conneted by a loopholed wall. Expanding activities to meet the requirements of the Army in subsequent wars increased the number of buildings to a total of 101 at the end of World War II.
On January 24, 1861, it was surrendered to Georgia troops with its garrison of 80 men commanded by Captain Arnold Elzey, and during the War Between the States it manufactured a variety of ordnance for the Confederate Army.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 28.689′ N, 82° 1.34′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Walton Way and Fleming Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Walton Way. Located at the Walton Way entrance to Augusta State University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta State University (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellevue (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bell at Augusta State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Vincent Benet House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta Arsenal 1941 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walker Family Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 836 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.