New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
[ back ]
New Haven Harbor, the largest port on Long Island Sound, was the scene of an active fishing and sailing trade in the 19th century New Haven in 1840 was the setting for the Amistad trial, in which fifty-two black slaves, who had mutinied aboard
Erected by the City of New Haven
the New Haven Colony Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1979 by the City of New Haven, the New Haven Colony Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 25, 1638.
Location. 41° 18.421′ N, 72° 55.517′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Court Street, on the left when traveling north on Church Street. Located Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Haven CT 06510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Haven Water Company (a few steps from this marker); New Haven Green (a few steps from this marker); Renovation of the New Haven Green (within shouting distance of this marker); New Haven Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); “Make Us Free” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quinnipiack (about 400 feet away); First Meeting House (about 400 feet away); Col Edward Whalley (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Also see . . .
1. New Haven, Connecticut. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Visit New Haven. Website homepage (Submitted on May 10, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.