Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wisconsin State Capitol
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
Erected 2001 by National Park Service of the United States Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 43° 4.465′ N, 89° 23.046′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Main Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, on the left when traveling east. The marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 East Main Street, Madison WI 53702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hans Christian Heg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); What would you have seen here 14,000 years ago? (about 400 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Grace Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); This city was planned in 1836 (about 500 feet away); Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city (about 500 feet away); Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition (about 500 feet away); American House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. When traveling northeast on E. Main St, the Capitol Building is on the left hand side. The SE entrance is across from the intersection of E. Main St and Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. The marker is at the base of the stairway on left hand newel.
Regarding Wisconsin State Capitol. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, which designated the Capitol and its park grounds as a landmark (no. 129) in 1994, "The present State Capitol building is the third built on this site. The first, begun in 1837 and completed in 1848, outlived its usefulness and was demolished around 1862, and the second, built shortly thereafter, burned in 1904. This building, built in five phases over eleven years, is a masterpiece of Renaissance Revival architecture as interpreted through American Beaux-Arts sensibilities. [The] cruciform plan with a dome at the crossing [by George Brown Post and
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2009, by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,214 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2009, by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.