Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Johnson House

Natchez, Mississippi

 

— Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmark —

 
William Johnson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
1. William Johnson House Marker
Inscription.  
William Johnson
1809-1851
was a free African American Businessman and Diarist.
His diary, covering the period from 1835-1851 and published in 1951, contains an extensive description of
everyday pre-Civil War life; it is a valuable contribution
to the literature of the antebellum South.
His home is designated a Literary Landmark
by Friends of Libraries, U.S.A.

United States National Park Service - February 26, 2005.
Friends of Judge George W. Armstrong Library.
Friends of Mississippi Libraries.

 
Erected 2005 by Friends of Libraries, U.S.A. & Co-sponsors: National Park Service, Friends of Judge George W. Armstrong Library, and Friends of Mississippi Libraries.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 31° 33.599′ N, 91° 24.327′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on State Street 0 miles
William Johnson House - marker is visble on the white fence, below the tree limbs image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
2. William Johnson House - marker is visble on the white fence, below the tree limbs
east of So. Canal Street (Business U.S. 61), on the right when traveling west. The William Johnson House is a unit of the Natchez National Historical Park, located about one mile north of US Hwy 84/425 via So. Canal Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 State Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The William Johnson House (here, next to this marker); Intersection of State and South Wall streets (a few steps from this marker); Adams County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of State and South Canal streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Texada (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Wall Streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Main and Wall streets (about 500 feet away); Commercial Bank Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Also see . . .
1. "The Barber of Natchez" - The Life of William Johnson. National Park Service brochure (Submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

2. Natchez National Historical Park. (Submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Free persons of Color; slavery; "Barber of Natchez"
"Slavery" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
3. "Slavery"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
 
"Johnson Family Tree" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
4. "Johnson Family Tree"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Main Street Barbershop" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
5. "Main Street Barbershop"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Documenting Freedom ..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
6. "Documenting Freedom ..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Business ..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
7. "Business ..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"Murder..." image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
8. "Murder..."
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
"After 1851" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
9. "After 1851"
- panel from the William Johnson House museum
William Johnson House and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 7, 2010
10. William Johnson House and Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,319 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 11, 2020