Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945
Visions for a Two-Season Resort
In 1938, residents, fed up with their private water company, voted to create the first local government in the Tahoe Basin. The Tahoe City Public Utility District formed and Bill Vernon was appointed the first general manager. By the early 40’s middle class travelers arrived by car. Families took advantage of the new campgrounds and resorts.
World War II started. To aid the war effort, Southern Pacific pulled up the tracks for steel. Wartime rationing reduced tourism and many people moved out of town.
With the end of the war in 1945 came improved roads to Tahoe City. Fishing was popular again, as was a new hobby – water-skiing. Business was still slow after Labor Day – few people wanting to endure Tahoe winters.
Carl Bechdolt, Sr. – Proprietor of the Tahoe Inn • Arthur Daniel Brodehl –
Erected 2008 by Rotory Club of Tahoe City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 39° 10.292′ N, 120° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from North Lake Boulevard (State Highway 26), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at Heritage Plaza next to the Watson Cabin Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895 (here, next to this marker); Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926 (here, next to this marker); Post War, 1946 to 1955 (here, next to this marker); Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971 Early Tahoe City (a few steps from this marker); Tahoe City (a few steps from this marker); Tahoe City’s “Big Tree” (a few steps from this marker); The Watson Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 711 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.