Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Gatekeeper’s Cabin and Museum
[First Marker – Located on the left:]
The North Lake Tahoe Historical Society (NLTHS) operates and maintains the Gatekeeper’s Museum, The Marion Steinback Indian Basket Museum, the Watson Cabin Living Museum (located above Commons Beach) and William B. Layton Park. The organization was founded by: Betty Layton, the manager of the North Lake Tahoe Chamber of Commerce; Gardner Mein, President of the Chamber of Commerce; David Stollery, an Historian and Author; and Judge C.W.Vernon.
Hoping to purchase the Gatekeeper’s Cabin and surrounding land, the Board of Directors of the NLTHS began negotiations with Sierra Pacific Power in 1969. California State Parks ultimately purchased the parcel in 1978. The NLTHS operates on State Parks land through a special contract.
On July 9, 1981, the Gatekeeper’s Museum opened to the public. The Museum features the history of Lake Tahoe and includes exhibits on the area that illustrate: Native Americans: local pioneers; natural history and the Ellen Attardi Library. The Edmund S. Barnett/Marion Steinbach Indian Basket Museum addition opened in 1995. This collection includes
[Second Marker – Located on the right:]
The first dam on Lake Tahoe, a stone and timber crib, stretched across the outlet in 1870. Water flow was restricted to float logs downstream and to generate power. In 1913, the Lake Tahoe Outlet Dam was completed across the mouth of the Truckee River. A newly hired gatekeeper recorded daily lake levels and adjusted the 17 outflow gates as needed.
The original cabin on this site was built for the gatekeeper and his family. Arthur Smith, the first Gatekeeper, and his wife Emma were the first to make this area their home. The cabin had the community’s only flush toilet and a telephone.
Emma died during the flu epidemic of 1918, and Arthur left. Leroy Paul, a University of Nevada Engineering School graduate served four years as the next gatekeeper. W.A. Simmonds and his wife Ida lived here for 24 years supplementing their income by renting out tent cabins on the property.
Art Frodenberg, Ida’s son by a former marriage, became the next Gatekeeper in 1949. Mr. Frodenberg served as Gatekeeper until 1960 when Daryl DeWalt, his son-in-law, became the Gatekeeper.
The newly appointed Federal Water master based in Reno, Nevada took over responsibility for operation of the dam in 1968.
The original cabin was destroyed by arson fire and rebuilt on the original foundation by the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society.
Erected by North Lake Tahoe Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1811.
Location. 39° 9.997′ N, 120° 8.636′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from West Lake Boulevard (State Highway 89) west of State Highway 28. Marker is located near the Gatekeepers Cabin at William B. Layton Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 West Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Tradition of Basketmaking (here, next to this marker); The Plentiful Lake (here, next to this marker); Lake Tahoe (here, next to this marker); A Safe Harbor (a few steps from this marker); The Sacred Lake (a few steps from this marker); William B. Layton Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Conflict Over Water (within shouting distance of this marker); Lake Tahoe Outlet Works and Gatekeepers Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,018 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.