High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Haley House
In 1786, John & Phebe Haley built this home on the Petersburg (Va) to Salisbury (NC) Road, a major trade route. At that time, the Haleys owned 368 acres of land around this site. John Haley was a blacksmith by trade, but also served as sheriff, tax collector, and road commissioner. The home is now furnished with late 18th century furniture, ceramics, and household goods.
This story-&-a-half house was built on the Quaker Plan, with 3 rooms and 3 interior chimneys an uncommon plan in the Piedmont South. The handmade bricks were laid in a Flemish bond pattern where headers (ends of bricks) alternate with stretchers (sides of bricks). Notice the unusual arrangement and number of window panes as well as the steeply pitched roof, a characteristic of Medieval Plans.
Restoration began in 1966, with funds from the City of High Point, the High Point Historical Society, and the Junior League. The Haley House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by High Point Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
Location. 35° 58.78′ N, 79° 59.506′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is at the intersection of E Lexington Avenue and McGuinn Drive, on the left when traveling east on E Lexington Avenue. Marker is located adjacent to the High Point Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Point NC 27262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); The Little Red Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hoggat House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest Building in High Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest Colonial Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Plank Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Quatercentenary Tree (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.