Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Plank Road

 
 
The Plank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
1. The Plank Road Marker
Inscription.  The Fayetteville and Western Plank Road was constructed in the late 1850’s, stretching 129 miles long and covering what is now High Point’s Main Street. In 1852, when the North Carolina Railroad Company surveyed the proposed rail route from Goldsboro to Charlotte, the highest point was marked near the Plank Road, laying the foundation of what would become High Point. The town sprang from the crossing of the Plank Road and the railroad.

To commemorate the Plank Road’s significance in High Point’s history, this miniature model of the original has been constructed precisely to scale. The planks represent monetary gifts to the High Point Historical Society Plank Road funds given by or in honor of the persons whose names are inscribed. This replica was established in 1981.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 35° 58.795′ N, 79° 59.526′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from McGuinn Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located adjacent
The Plank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
2. The Plank Road Marker
to the High Point Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Point NC 27262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hoggat House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest Building in High Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest Colonial Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Red Schoolhouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Point University (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
 
Also see . . .  April 1854 -- The Fayetteville and Western Plank Road. This Month in NC History, from the University of North Carolina website. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A..) 
 
Marker in High Point image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
3. Marker in High Point
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 10, 2020