Magna in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Early Magna Settlements
In 1853 Abraham Coon, an early Mormon pioneer, explored a canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains on the west side of Salt Lake Valley. He found an abundance of timber suitable for lumber and also a variety of oak tree the bark of which was useful in tanning leather. There was ample water to power a saw mill and a tan-bark processing plant. Abraham Coon obtained permission to open the canyon for these purposes, established a toll fee for access to the canyon, and used the revenue for the construction and maintainance of the road. The canyon was officially named Coon Canyon.
Abraham Coon and his family settled at the mouth of the canyon, and started a farming community that became known as Coonville. This was the first settlement on the west side of Salt Lake Valley and it covered a one-square-mile area south of this marker. The Coon, Deardon, Hardman, Shafer, Thomas, Sadler, Ek, Jenkins, and Larson families settled in the area. The 47th District School House was built here to house first- through
In the 1860s, settlers from Salt Lake City were attracted to the fertile soil in this part of the valley, and the farming community of Pleasant Green grew up on the two-square-mile area north of Coonville. Early family names in Pleasant Green included Spencer, Reid, Taylor, Cockrell, Jacobs, Lecheminant, Breeze, Perkins, Sutton, Mellen, Hirst, Brown, Bouck, Bertoch, Hartley, Lambert, Whipple, Shields, Adamson, Drury, Featherstone, and Wolstenholme.
In 1906, Daniel C. Jackling brought the Utah Copper Company into operation by commencing open-pit mining in Bingham Canyon. Over the next forty years the mine, smelting, and milling operations were expanded and the company became known as Kennecott. The open-pit mine is truly one of the wonders of the world. The modernization of the mine and processing plants has gone forward, and in 1992 this remains one of the great copper producing centers of the world.
With the advent of the copper industry, Coonville and Pleasant Green merged into the unincorporated city of Magna. “Magna” means “magnificent” or “great,” a proud reference to the role played by the city and its people in the development of the copper industry. The name became official with the opening of the first Magna Post Office in 1917.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 40° 41′ N, 112° 5.485′ W. Marker is in Magna, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 8400 West (Utah Route 111) and 4100 South, on the right when traveling north on 8400 West. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Magna UT 84044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Relief Society Granary (here, next to this marker); Pleasant Green Ward (approx. 2 miles away); Hunter (approx. 3.1 miles away); English Fort (approx. 8.1 miles away); Garfield & Lake Point Resorts (approx. 8.1 miles away); Pioneer Black Rock Resort (approx. 8.1 miles away); Bingham City Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); Honoring with Glory (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Magna.
More about this marker. Marker is about 125 feet off of the road and just north of 4100 West. The pulloff for the marker is also the beginning of the runaway truck lane so make sure that you are completely off the road when you stop.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,963 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on August 30, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos: 1. submitted on June 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 3. submitted on June 29, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.