Near Battlefield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Battle of Oak Hills
August 10, 1861
The Missouri State Guard
This monument is respectfully dedicated to the men of the Missouri State Guard, the legally established militia of the state who first took up arms in 1861, and marching and fighting under the blue battle flag of their beloved Missouri did their duty as God gave them light
Erected 2001 by Missouri Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list.
Location. 37° 7.264′ N, 93° 25.236′ W. Marker is near Battlefield, Missouri, in Greene County. Marker is on State Highway ZZ, on the right when traveling north. Located at General Sweeny's Museum, part of Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookline MO 65619, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Missouri State Guard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle's Beginning ... and End (approx. 0.7 miles away); Signs From The Past (approx. 0.8 miles away); Way to the Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gibson's House Site (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gibson's Mill Site (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gibson's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bloody Hill (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battlefield.
Related markers. Click here for list of markers that are related to this marker. Battle of Wilson's Creek by markers.
Also see . . . Civil War Museum Exhibits. Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Park site. (Submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. General Sweeny's Museum
Founded in 1992 by Dr. Thomas and Karen Sweeney, the museum contains artifacts covering the conflict, spanning from the "Bleeding Kansas" period to the surrender of Confederate troops. Privately run for many years, the museum (known as the Civil War Museum now) was later incorporated as part of Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Park.
— Submitted September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,194 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.