Brookline near Battlefield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Gibson's Mill Site
In 1966 archeologists discovered parts of the mill's foundation, water wheel, gearing, and millstones. They also found melted glass and charred timbers - evidence that the mill was destroyed by fire after the war.
A short distance up the trail from here you will find the foundation of the Gibsons' house, also excavated in 1966. Evidence suggests that the house was built in the 1850s, and probably burned sometime after 1876.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 37° 6.74′ N, 93° 24.501′ W. Marker is near Battlefield, Missouri, in Greene County. It is in Brookline. Marker can be reached from Tour Road, on the right when traveling east. Located at stop 1, Gibson's Mill, of the Wilson's Creek battlefield driving tour. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookline MO 65619, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Gibson's House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Signs From The Past (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Way to the Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Gibson's Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle's Beginning ... and End (approx. half a mile away); Death of Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon (approx. half a mile away); Bloody Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pulaski Arkansas Battery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battlefield.
Also see . . . Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Park. (Submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.