Goldfield in Esmeralda County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Goldfield Ore discoveries in 1902 stimulated area mining interest and high grade hornsilver was discovered here in 1908. The name was changed to Hornsilver & a typical mining camp development occurred. A newspaper, postoffice, stores and saloons began operations, and a town of over 225 wood-frame buildings, tents, and shacks appeared.
The camp assumed the name Gold Point after 1930 when more gold was being mined than silver. Miners were drawn away to essential World War II industries in October 1942, and major mining efforts ceased at Gold Point.
Erected by Nevada State Park System, E.F. Denton. (Marker Number 156.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 26.264′ N, 117° 17.093′ W. Marker is in Goldfield, Nevada, in Esmeralda County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goldfield NV 89013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Gold Point (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Regarding Gold Point. The ghost town of Gold Point is located 7 miles south on State Highway 71. See "Nearby Marker" for information, photos and "Also See" links.
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The reference to high grade hornsilver has been changed to "high grade chlorargyrite, a form of silver chloride known as hornsilver." The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Erik Bigglestone of Contra Costa County, California. This page has been viewed 711 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Erik Bigglestone of Contra Costa County, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.