Edinburg in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
below Beecher Falls in 1879.
Only NYS Queenpost Truss
Bridge. Placed on NYS and
National Register in 1998
Erected 1999 by the Town of Edinburg.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges series list.
Location. 43° 13.258′ N, 74° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on North Shore Road (County Route 4), on the right when traveling east. The marker and covered bridge are located near the 4 corners intersection of Edinburg and the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the northern arm of the Great Sacandaga Lake. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Northville NY 12134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carriage Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beecher's Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beecher Hollow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barker's Store Rural Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Beecher Hollow (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town Meeting (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Road (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edinburg.
Regarding Covered Bridge. Edingburg, NY is in northern Saratoga County. The portion of Edinburg formerly known as Beecher Creek Hollow was named for prominent businessman Capt. Ely Beecher who settled in Edinburgh about 1800.
Arad Copeland (1805-1884) built the quaint old bridge in 1879 after a previous open bridge had been destroyed by melting spring snow and ice. He decided to build the present covered bridge to get his cows safely to pasture on the other side of Beecher Creek. The bridge had remained in the Copeland family until the fall of 1997 when great, great grandson Robert Tyrrell and his wife Betty graciously deeded the bridge over to the Edinburg Historical Society. Thereafter the society obtained funding for a rehabilitation of the bridge.
According to Copeland family legend local residents Melzor Manning laid the abutment stones, Jacob Latcher hewed the timbers and Azariah Ellithorpe Jr.
The Copeland Covered Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 6, 1998.
In the fall of 1999, the historic marker was placed near the Copeland Covered Bridge. (NY-46-01)
The bridge numbers are assigned by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, the Copeland bridge being "NY-46-01."
Also see . . . The Town of Edinburg page for the Copeland Covered Bridge. (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Sacandaga Batchellerville Bridge
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,606 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 9, 10. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.