New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
New Haven Water Company
The fountain around the Memorial Flagpole commemorates 150 years of service by the New Haven Water Company founded by Eli Whitney. The first water was brought to the Green from Lake Whitney on January 1, 1862 in order to provide fresh water for drinking and fire protection to the City of New Haven.
The fountain has been donated by the people of the City of New Haven and by the water company's successor, the Regional Water Authority, as well as Yale University, the proprietors of the Green and individual donors. The Regional Water Authority is comprised of the towns of Bethany, Branford, Cheshire, East Haven, Guilford, Hamden, Killingworth, Madison, Milford, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Orange Prospect, West Haven and Woodbridge.
John Destefano, Jr. Mayor
June 16, 2003
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1818.
Location. 41° 18.424′ N, 72° 55.512′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Haven CT 06510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Haven Green (here, next to this marker); New Haven (a few steps from this marker); Renovation of the New Haven Green (a few steps from this marker); New Haven Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); “Make Us Free” (within shouting distance of this marker); Quinnipiack (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Meeting House (about 400 feet away); Col Edward Whalley (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Also see . . . South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority. (Submitted on September 1, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.