Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lumpkin in Stewart County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Seat of Government of Randolph County

>>>-- 1/2 mi. -->

 
 
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
Inscription.  Near here on the old Fort Gaines Road, the first Monday in August 1829, at the home of Allen and Jeanette (Roby) Wamble, was held the first Inferior Court for Randolph County which, at that time, included Stewart, Webster and Randolph Counties. Lumpkin was soon made the County Seat of Randolph County and continued for Stewart County after it was formed in 1830.

On February 12, 1829, Gov. John Forsyth commissioned Allen Wamble, Jared Irwin, nephew of Gov. Jared Irwin, John Cowan, John R.M. Neel as Justices of the Inferior Court of Randolph County.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 128-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1818.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 31° 55.733′ N, 84° 44.583′ W. Marker was near Lumpkin, Georgia, in Stewart County. Marker was at the intersection of Singer Pond Road (County Route 145) and
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
Looking south on Singer Pond Road, now named Fuller Earth Road
Click or scan to see
this page online
Unnamed dirt road, on the right when traveling south on Singer Pond Road. The marker is on the bank above the road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Lumpkin GA 31815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Benevolence Baptist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gen. Evans’ Birthplace (approx. 5.7 miles away); Westville Symposium / Academic Pioneers (approx. 8.1 miles away); Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 8˝ miles away); Jackson Trail (approx. 8.7 miles away); Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse (approx. 8.8 miles away); Stewart County Academy and Masonic Building (approx. 9 miles away); Lumpkin and Stewart County (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lumpkin.
 
More about this marker. The area has been logged and the marker is missing.
 
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
3. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
Former location of First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 8, 2021
4. Former location of First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 2, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on September 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on June 13, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=35178

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2021