Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
created Feb. 6, 1818
Named for Col. James Lauderdale, cavalryman under Gen. John Coffee and Andrew Jackson, War of 1812; Killed in battle of New Orleans.
Coffee planned Florence, the county seat. Jackson, President Madison owned lots.
Erected 1956 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association, the Former U.S. Presidents: #04 James Madison, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is February 6, 1857.
Location. 34° 47.901′ N, 87° 40.5′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of West Alabama Street and South Court Street, on the right when traveling west on West Alabama Street. Marker is located on right side of the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Legion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Founding of Florence (about 700 feet away); Downtown Florence Historic District (about 700 feet away); Wheeler Rifles (about 700 feet away); St. Mark Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dred Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of FAME Recording Studio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.