Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Thomas Arnold High School
Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d. 1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, where Dr. Jones taught. Named for Thomas Arnold (1795-1842), noted headmaster of Rugby School in England, the academy provided quality education during a time when there were few public high schools. After it closed in 1913, the facilities were again operated as Salado College until 1918, and as a public school until 1924, when the buildings burned.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5464.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 30° 56.512′ N, 97° 32.221′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of College Hill Drive and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on College Hill Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Stagecoach Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Street Bridges (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salado Creek (about 500 feet away); Salado (about 500 feet away); The Davis Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington Baines House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Regarding Site of Thomas Arnold High School. This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places under the name "Salado College Archaeological Site".
Also see . . . Wikipedia: Salado College. (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,282 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on September 2, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 9, 10. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on January 31, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.