Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904
The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
In 1903, George Fisher and Harry Lawrie designed Fire Substation No. 1 in the then-popular Chateauesque style. The gabled third floor gave the building the look of a French chateau. On April 9, 1917, firefighters were sunning themselves out front when a bystander rushed to tell them that their building was on fire. The two-alarm fire destroyed the third floor, which housed the hayloft for the horse-drawn engines. The top of the building was removed, and it was remodeled with a new maintenance facility called a "fire shop." It continued to operate as a firehouse until lack of manpower during World War II forced it to close. In 1972, the building was reopened with applause as the Firehouse Dinner Theater, and live shows were staged there until 1991. In 1996, architect David Erickson converted the firehouse into a restaurant and microbrewery, the Upstream Brewing Co., with the original 1903 cornerstone as an interior showpiece. The patio on the east side of the building became home to a stone trough that once treated thirsty horses and dogs at Capitol Avenue and 17th Streets.
Erected by The Old Market
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1861.
Location. 41° 15.291′ N, 95° 55.844′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on 11th Street near Jackson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 514 South 11th Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morse Coe Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Windsor Hotel (about 300 feet away); Millard Block 1880-1881 (about 600 feet away); Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 (about 800 feet away); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,445 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.