Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Salvation Army
— (125-127 South Hanover Street) —
Mr. Stuart’s ancestor, Samuel Stuart (also known as Stewart), purchased this property September 7, 1778, where he engaged in tavern keeping and for a period of time this facility housed Hessian prisoners of war.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 2000.
Location. 40° 11.962′ N, 77° 11.356′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on S Hanover Street north of E Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andre & Despard House (a few steps from this marker); Major André (a few steps from this marker); Blaine House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Tree Inn (about 500 feet away); Col. Robert Magaw (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Blaine House (about 500 feet away); The McClintock RiotCarlisle Court House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 586 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3. submitted on June 4, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.